noun[mass noun] Chemistry
- A colourless flammable highly poisonous gas made by oxidizing hydrogen cyanide.
More example sentences
- Chemical formula: C2N2
- The spectra that are observed indicate that small molecules, such as cyanide, methane, and cyanogen, can assemble in outer space.
- Cytosine can be formed by reacting cyanoacetylene with cyanate, cyanogen or urea, and uracil can be produced by the hydrolysis of cytosine.
- Years earlier scientists had detected cyanogen, a poisonous gas, in the tail of a comet.
early 19th century: from French cyanogène, from Greek kuanos 'dark blue mineral' + -gène (see -gen), so named because it is a constituent of Prussian blue.
More definitions of cyanogenDefinition of cyanogen in:
- The US English dictionary