Definition of cylinder in English:
1A solid geometrical figure with straight parallel sides and a circular or oval cross section.
- Narnia uses stencil shadows generated from implicit geometry representations such as cylinders and ellipsoids, and also extruded polygons.
- He goes on to consider solid geometry giving results on prisms, cylinders, and spheres.
- Simple geometrical arrangements such as an ellipsoid or a cylinder are often used to gauge the shape of particles such as micelles and proteins.
1.1A solid or hollow body, object, or part having the shape of a cylinder.
- Form the marzipan into a cylinder the same length as the stollen dough.
- The cell body is actually a cylinder capped at both ends by hemispheres and the radius of the flagellum helix is smaller than that of the cell body.
- Many materials scientists predict that the tiny, hollow cylinders of carbon atoms known as carbon nanotubes will eventually lead to a new generation of supersmall transistors.
2A piston chamber in a steam or internal-combustion engine.
- Think of a cylinder and a piston in an old steam engine.
- When a cylinder fires, the piston rod is at an angle and can immediately turn the crankshaft via the cam at the end of the pivoting arm.
- With both valves closed following combustion, the pistons in those cylinders come up and compress the exhaust gases instead of pumping them out.
3A cylinder-shaped container holding liquefied gas under pressure.
- The fuel cell unit with a power output of 200 kW and the pressurized gas cylinders containing compressed hydrogen are accommodated on the roof.
- Residents from around 200 houses in Colne had to leave their properties at 8pm after a fire at a block of garages containing cylinders of highly explosive gas on Tuesday night.
- Residents were forced to evacuate their Eastwood homes after a field fire swept through garden sheds containing potentially explosive gas cylinders.
- Example sentences
- Millotia myosotidifolia is an annual herb, 16-30 cm tall, whose achenes are narrowly cylindric and strigillose.
- Four cylindric plastic rings of the same model were set above the initial one to increase the tank volume and were filled with a hyperosmolar glucose solution to create an osmotic stress.
- The body or shaft of the femur is almost cylindric but it is slightly flattened anteriorly and strengthened posteriorly by a longitudinal ridge, the linea aspera.
Definition of cylinder in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.