Definition of cyme in English:
A flower cluster with a central stem bearing a single terminal flower that develops first, the other flowers in the cluster developing as terminal buds of lateral stems. Compare with raceme.
- The flat, star-shaped flowers are 1-cm across, range in color from maroon in the sun to pale beige in the shade, and are displayed in loose cymes in the leaf axils.
- This pattern is most clearly observed in shoots with five to seven cymes, while in shoots with two to four cymes male flowers are also frequently produced in basal positions.
- Leaves of C. orbiculatus are broader, and the flowers are borne in axillary cymes.
- Example sentences
- The buckwheat inflorescence is a compound raceme that produces laterally flowered cymose clusters, the number of which was affected by the position of the inflorescence along the main stem.
- Inflorescences are terminal or axillary, and are usually cymose, but less often racemose, capitate, clustered or spicate; the flowers are seldom solitary.
- The terminal and erect cymose inflorescence bears actinomorphic, hexamerous, dish-shaped flowers.
Definition of cyme in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan