noun (plural cystectomies)
1A surgical operation to remove the urinary bladder.
- Choosing a hospital that either performs many cystectomies or has a high nurse-to-patient ratio minimizes post-operative complications after the procedure, according to a new study.
- The patient became transfusion dependent and subsequently underwent cystectomy and ileal conduit urinary diversion.
- All patients underwent cystectomy for bladder cancer and had regional lymph node metastases at the time of surgery.
2A surgical operation to remove an abnormal cyst: an ovarian cystectomy
More example sentences
- Her medical history included a cholecystectomy, appendectomy, and ovarian cystectomy for a benign cyst, all performed approximately 20 years before this presentation.
- During a laparotomy for ovarian cystectomy on a 38-year-old woman, the surgeon encountered extensive adhesions, making identification of the anatomic landmarks difficult.
- She had a history of a right ovarian cystectomy several years earlier but no history of sexually transmitted diseases or pelvic inflammatory disease.
Definition of cystectomy in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.