Definition of cysticercus in English:
noun (plural cysticerci /-sʌɪ/)Zoology
A larval tapeworm at a stage in which the scolex is inverted in a sac, typically found encysted in the muscle tissue of the host.
- The classic intestinal infection with Taenia solium results when humans ingest pork with viable cysticerci that exocyst in the small intestine.
- Pharmacological treatment is now widely accessible and effective even in cases of giant cysticerci or ventricular cysts, which used to be the exclusive domain of neurosurgery.
- Once inside the stomach, the tapeworm egg hatches, penetrates the intestine, travels through the bloodstream and may develop into cysticerci in the muscles, brain, or eyes.
cysticercoid adjective& noun
- Example sentences
- The digested mites release cysticercoids where they attach to the ileocecal junction in the horse.
- The tapeworm eggs are ingested by flea larvae, where development reaches the larval cysticercoid stage.
- After hatching, they invade into the body cavity and become cysticercoid larvae, which are infectious for humans.
Definition of cysticercus in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan