1Silly; foolish: don’t ask such daft questions
More example sentences
- My dear old mother went as daft as a brush in her final years.
- They were patient and polite, but they obviously wondered why I was asking such a daft question.
- I ask her if she smokes, a daft question given that this is a tobacconist, but you have to start somewhere.
idiotic, stupid, foolish, foolhardy, unwise, imprudent, ill-conceived, silly, inane, puerile, infantile, fatuous, imbecilic, hare-brained, half-baked;
unreasonable, irrational, illogical, nonsensical, pointless, senseless, impracticable, unworkable, unrealistic;
peculiar, odd, strange, queer, weird, eccentric, bizarre, fantastic, incongruous, grotesque
simple-minded, simple, stupid, idiotic, moronic, imbecilic, dull-witted, dull, dim-witted, slow-witted, slow, witless, half-witted, feeble-minded, dunce-like, cretinous, empty-headed, vacuous, vapid;
deranged, unhinged, insane, mad
informal touched, thick, thick as two short planks, dim, dopey, dumb, dozy, birdbrained, pea-brained, pig-ignorant, bovine, slow on the uptake, soft in the head, brain-dead, boneheaded, lamebrained, chuckleheaded, dunderheaded, wooden-headed, fat-headed, muttonheaded, not all there, not quite right, crazy, mental, nuts, nutty, crackers, cracked, potty, barmy, batty, cuckoo, bonkers, dotty, dippy
British informal not the full shilling
North American informal dumb-ass
1.1 (daft about) Infatuated with: I was daft about him
More example sentences
- I've been daft about cricket since I was young, and I was part of a successful squad until I was forced to pack it in at 26 when I tore my cartilage and ruptured my knee ligaments.
- His mother Karen said that she and her husband, Kevin, who are both doctors, were both daft about puzzles and had encouraged Jack and younger sister Mia in their hobby.
- Of course they are just daft about their rugby round here.
- More example sentences
- In more recent years, Sarti's has become an excellent location for late-night daftness over a couple of bottles of Barolo.
- Dark, menacing and overblown to the point of daftness, it's just like the real Wuthering Heights.
- And delirious daftness without rhyme or reason is just plain boring and at the core of this film.