- 1A railway signal indicating that the line is not clear and instructing the driver to halt.More example sentences
- Transport Secretary Stephen Byers was last night facing mounting pressure to act to stop train drivers going through danger signals amid fears that the incidents are putting passengers' lives at risk.
- Two trains collided outside Paddington station after one of them passed a partially obscured red danger signal.
- Rail safety inspectors say there are "significant weaknesses" in the way train companies deal with the problem of drivers going through danger signals.
- 2 (also danger sign) An indication that a bad or dangerous situation is likely to develop: a rise in tobacco use by teenagers, especially girls, is a danger signalMore example sentences
- She got the danger signal from him loud and clear - but she was still going to buy this thing, dammit.
- He walked out and started giving the danger signal (thumping his good foot loudly) and so I went to pick him up.
- Normal mice quickly learned that the sound was a danger signal, and responded by freezing.