1Make (something) inactive by disconnecting or destroying it: the switch deactivates the alarm
More example sentences
- He pressed the switch to deactivate the program, then his weapons faded and he opened the door.
- The council is also reminding local people that when they go on holiday they will not be able to deactivate their burglar alarm if it is falsely triggered.
- Kevin ran to a computer and deactivated the shields and weapons.
1.1 Military Remove from active duty.
- On 1 October 1993, the 46th Fighter Training Squadron was deactivated when the active duty Air Force took control of all fighter replacement training.
- Following this action the 5th Ranger Battalion finished the war serving as conventional infantry or guard forces, and were finally deactivated in October of 1945.
- With the signal battalion deactivated, the burden of managing the installation, operation and maintenance of communications systems did not fall on the shoulders of the BTB.
- Example sentences
- In the first five years, the reactors will undergo mild surface-level deactivation to minimize their radioactivity.
- This can result in major damage for your website from loss of consumer loyalty and trust to deactivation of your e-mail privileges.
- These agreements also order the deactivation of land-based missiles that carry more than one warhead each by 2003 and their destruction by 2007.
- Example sentences
- A migraine may be identified both by its activators (red wine, hunger, lack of sleep, glare, perfume, periods of letdown) and its deactivators (sleep, pregnancy, exhilaration, sumatriptan).
- Here, use this deactivator to stun them for 10 minute increments and be careful.
- Ergonomic and easy to use, our label deactivators are designed to help retailers maximize cashier efficiency.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: de|acti¦vate
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.