Definition of dead loss in English:
1A venture or situation which produces no profit.
- He had a very good March and April, but February and May have been dead losses as far as he's concerned.
- The trend has already started with the top producers, who have already decided that the UK is a bit of a dead loss and are looking to the States to sell their wine.
- Admittedly 2% of both draws will benefit by increased prize money but the remaining 98% will be at a dead loss.
1.1 informal , chiefly British A person or thing that is completely useless.
- No doubt Thompson would have considered the former Rugby Park manager a dead loss across August as he presided over four straight league defeats for the Easter Road club.
- Before I could even fumble a further answer, she had sussed me as a dead loss, had switched off her DAT machine, and was already scanning the crowd for a more eloquent victim.
- Not that the Washington Post is a total dead loss.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.