Definition of deadeye in English:
1 Sailing A circular wooden block with a groove round the circumference to take a lanyard, used singly or in pairs to tighten a shroud.
- Every plank and rib, deadeye and curb were built according to the detailed plans of Bombigher.
- In addition to these objects of women's interest, there are several tokens of men's concerns: a model of the ship Minerva, a deadeye, and a delicately carved game box.
- Here we find deadeyes and pulleys still attached to the hull.
2 informal , chiefly North American An expert marksman: Chuck here is a deadeye [as modifier]: a successful field goal requires a deadeye kick
More example sentences
- Smith, on the other hand, is a deadeye marksman a step past his prime, requiring help from his teammates to get the space he needs to fire away.
- Two and a half years ago, as the primary complement to Garnett in the team's offensive sets, the deadeye shooter was proficient enough to be chosen to the NBA All-Star Team.
- Buechler is a smart, valuable role player, an excellent defender and, until this season, a deadeye jump shooter.
Words that rhyme with deadeyered-eye
Definition of deadeye in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India