- 1.1A technique used by some surrealist artists which involves pressing paint between sheets of paper.More example sentences
- His range of effects is unusually eloquent; there is something of the monoprint to them, as well as elements of the Surrealist techniques of decalcomania and frottage.
- In each, Krahenbuhl runs a dazzling gamut of painterly techniques: glazing, impasto, scumbling, decalcomania, fluid linear strokes and so on.
- There are obvious associations to be made with Ernst's and Tanguy's wet-paint technique, decalcomania.
mid 19th century: from French décalcomanie, from décalquer 'transfer a tracing' + -manie '-mania' (with reference to the enthusiasm for the process in the 1860s).
More definitions of decalcomaniaDefinition of decalcomania in:
- The US English dictionary