verb[with object] Chemistry
1Eliminate a carboxylic acid group from (an organic compound): heating at 100°C in dryness decarboxylates the proteins to yield glutamic acid
More example sentences
- Coproporphyrinogen III is transported to the interior of the mitochondrion, where 2 propionate residues are decarboxylated, yielding vinyl substituents on the 2 pyrrole rings.
- Thus, malate produced following PEP carboxylation is readily decarboxylated and the CO 2 released.
- In this compartment, called the matrix, the pyruvic acid is decarboxylated to a two-carbon acetyl group, releasing a CO 2 molecule, and is enzymatically joined to Coenzyme A, a large carrier molecule.
- Example sentences
- The synthesis of serotonin is a two-step process involving a hydroxylation reaction catalyzed by the enzyme tryptophan - 5-monooxygenase and then a decarboxylation catalyzed by l-amino acid decarboxylase.
- A major source of ammonium, especially in C 3 plants, arises in the mitochondria from the decarboxylation of glycine to serine by the glycine decarboxylase as part of the photorespiratory cycle.
- Acetoacetate can undergo spontaneous decarboxylation to acetone, or be enzymatically converted to b-hydroxybutyrate through the action of b-hydroxybutyrate dehydrogenase.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: de|carb|oxyl|ate
Definition of decarboxylate in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.