- Extract the essence from (something) by heating or boiling it: young red oaken leaves decocted in wine make an excellent gargle for a sore mouthMore example sentences
- Extracts were prepared by decocting the dry herb with boiling water for 60 minutes.
- First, decoct the tangerine peel and use the boiling water to infuse the tea.
- Oil can be made of these by decocting them first in water.
late Middle English (in the sense 'cook, heat up'): from Latin decoct- 'boiled down', from the verb decoquere, from de- 'down' + coquere 'cook'.
More definitions of decoctDefinition of decoct in:
- The US English dictionary