- 1 [mass noun] The process or art of decorating something: the lavish decoration of cloth with gilt interior decorationMore example sentences
- However, the construction and decoration process has been delayed, and a new opening date has not yet been disclosed.
- Too often, at this stage of the project, it's easy to become tired and to end up rushing through the interior design and decoration process.
- Since it was introduced it has gradually overtaken other forms of decoration so that now it forms the main decorative process in most large glass factories.
- 1.1Ornamentation: inside there was little decorationMore example sentences
- However, these vast Roman vistas are processed through the Rococo penchant for grandiose ornamentation and are window dressing, pure decoration.
- Standard Royal Worcester with floral decoration and Victorian dinner services are struggling to find buyers.
- The reverse of the vessel bears brushed cobalt blue floral decoration at the shoulder and a continuation of the flowers that appear on the front.
- 1.2chiefly British Paint or wallpaper applied when decorating a room: an authority on English furniture and decorationMore example sentences
- Originally all the walls in the room had painted decoration, as did the stairwell.
- I worked hard to make the house my own… new carpet, furniture, wall decoration etc, and by the beginning of October felt happy, contented and settled.
- The old furniture and decoration had a distinctly 1970s feel, so it will provide a much better environment for the services we provide.
- 1.3 [count noun] A thing that serves as an ornament: Christmas tree decorationsMore example sentences
- Every bedroom has its own Christmas tree and festoons of decorations.
- Fill large goldfish-type bowls with shiny glass globes and ornaments to create simple decorations.
- The community centre looked its best for the party with its Christmas tree and Christmas decorations.
- 2A medal or award conferred as an honour: a decoration won on the field of battle he was awarded the highest Australian decorationMore example sentences
- The veterans were awarded an Active Service Medal, a decoration pinned to the chest of servicemen involved in conflict.
- He is the recipient of numerous U.S. military awards and decorations, including the Purple Heart.
- Numerous decorations were awarded to members of the Eagle squadrons.
late Middle English: from late Latin decoratio(n-), from the verb decorare (see decorate).