- A determiner (the in English) that introduces a noun phrase and implies that the thing mentioned has already been mentioned, or is common knowledge, or is about to be defined (as in the book on the table; the art of government; the famous public school in Berkshire). Compare with indefinite article.More example sentences
- Adjectives that refer to people are sometimes introduced by the definite article the or by a possessive pronoun.
- The power of the definite article to particularize a common noun is dependent on context, apart from which its reference remains ambiguous.
- We found more errors in normal text for correctly capitalized definite articles than for capitalized nouns at the beginning of a sentence.
More definitions of definite articleDefinition of definite article in:
- The US English dictionary