Definition of deform in English:
- So, anything that serves to deform the shape of the Earth will affect the speed with which it spins.
- It also deforms the shape of the red blood cell enough that it's destroyed by the body, thus the anemia.
- You can turn boxy shapes into organic ones by pushing and pulling on any point or by deforming the shape to an existing curve, while still maintaining the original engineering intent.
- However, when armor was hit on a particular spot, just above the energy core, the pressure would cause the plate to deform slightly.
- Due to the resilience of the epoxy over Portland cement, the epoxy will deform slightly under point or line loading.
- Brass is able to deform slightly, hence a good bit of tightening causes the ferule to seal nicely against the pipe.
- deformable adjective
- Example sentences
- Six airbags, state of the art four-wheel anti-lock brakes, and deformable roof lining all work to protect cabin occupants.
- The software recognizes deformable surfaces and allows up to seven per cent wheelspin, because sometimes you need to let the tires dig into snow or sand just a little bit to gain traction.
- Each vehicle is fully deformable, with impacts on individual parts of the chassis giving rise to lost doors, dented bodywork and smashed windscreens.
form from Middle English:
Form goes back to Latin forma ‘a mould or form’, and is an element in many English words such as conform (Middle English) make like something else; deform (Late Middle English) ‘mis-shape’; and reform (Middle English) ‘put back into shape’. Formal (Late Middle English) originally meant ‘relating to form’, and developed the sense ‘prim, stiff’ in the early 16th century. Format (mid 19th century) came via French and German from Latin formatus (liber) ‘shaped (book)’. Formula (early 17th century) was in Latin a ‘little form’ and was at first a fixed form of words used in ceremonies. Use in chemistry is from the mid 19th century.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.