noun[mass noun] technical
The action or process of swallowing: the muscles involved in deglutition [count noun]: oesophageal pressure peaks induced by a single deglutition
More example sentences
- The process of deglutition begins with the bolus formation in the oral cavity.
- These are inhibitory reflexes, excited by deglutition, by gastric distension, and by intestinal dilatation.
- Organic abnormalities of deglutition may be related to initiation of the swallowing reflex in the oropharynx or to propulsion of the food bolus through the esophagus.
- Example sentences
- Sudden eruption of the deglutitive phase occurs in states of collapse and shock.
- However incomplete deglutitive relaxation in LES and primary peristaltic waves were detected in several patients with achalasia.
- The proposed muscle strengthening exercise program is effective in restoring oral feeding in some patients with deglutitive failure.
Mid 17th century: from French déglutition or modern Latin deglutitio(n-), from deglutire 'swallow down'.
Definition of deglutition in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.