Definition of dehydrogenate in English:
verb[with object] Chemistry
Remove a hydrogen atom or atoms from (a compound): (as adjective dehydrogenated) a dehydrogenated analogue of cortisone
More example sentences
- Alcohol dehydrogenase is an enzyme that takes a hydrogen atom from (dehydrogenates) an alcohol molecule.
- Addition of ethylene, through a Friedel-Crafts alkylation, to benzene affords ethylbenzene, which can be dehydrogenated to give styrene.
- Carbon dioxide is formed when formic acid is dehydrogenated.
- Example sentences
- A second dehydrogenation turns acetaldehyde into acetic acid, aka vinegar, which gets digested as usual.
- The entire process simulation - alcohol dehydrogenation, carbonyl polishing and distillation - was operated continuously for eight weeks.
- Industrially, they are mainly manufactured as the products of the dehydrogenation, or oxidation, of secondary alcohols.
Definition of dehydrogenate in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.