Sad and depressed; dispirited: he stood in the street looking dejected
More example sentences
- His life's labor and meaning reduced to nothing, Cipriano returns home, dejected and depressed.
- The inability of entering Western intellectual society made them feel dejected and depressed.
- But, yet again, I failed miserably and came away feeling dejected, disheartened, deflated and demoralised.
downcast, downhearted, despondent, disconsolate, dispirited, crestfallen, cast down, depressed, disappointed, disheartened, discouraged, demoralized, crushed, desolate, heartbroken, broken-hearted, heavy-hearted, low-spirited, in the doldrums, sad, unhappy, doleful, melancholy, miserable, woebegone, forlorn, long-faced, fed up, wretched, glum, gloomy, dismal;
informal blue, choked, down, down in the mouth, down in the dumps
British informal brassed off, cheesed off, looking as if one had lost a pound and found a penny
- Example sentences
- I sat clumsily on the floor and slumped against the wall dejectedly.
- He took a deep breath in, and let it out slowly, his chest falling dejectedly.
- Having claimed his full attention, she sighed aloud quite dejectedly.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.