1In an acutely disturbed state of mind characterized by restlessness, illusions, and incoherence; affected by delirium: he became delirious and couldn’t recognize people
More example sentences
- If left untreated, the patient may be highly agitated, develop insomnia, become delirious or go into a coma.
- Vivid hallucinations and delirious illusions may also occur.
- His vision was dimming as the rock squeezed harder, his mind was almost delirious with the pain.
incoherent, raving, babbling, irrational, hysterical, wild, feverish, frenzied;
deranged, demented, unhinged, mad, insane, crazed, out of one's mind
British informal swivel-eyed
1.1In a state of wild excitement or ecstasy: there was a great roar from the delirious crowd
More example sentences
- She had been delirious with excitement about the whole thing, from the moment they had been invited along.
- It requires delirious, wild optimism to believe madness on every continent will keep us safe indefinitely.
- While the penalty prompted singing and cheering from the crowd, the drop kick produced thunderous applause and brought a delirious crowd to their feet.
ecstatic, euphoric, elated, thrilled, overjoyed, beside oneself, walking on air, on cloud nine/seven, in seventh heaven, jumping for joy, in transports of delight, carried away, transported, rapturous, in raptures, exultant, jubilant, in a frenzy of delight, hysterical, wild with excitement, frenzied
informal blissed out, over the moon, on a high
North American informal wigged out
- Example sentences
- The goal of intervention is to provide symptomatic relief and to lower the deliriant threshold.
- It is used as a spice as well as acting as a deliriant if consumed in large quantities.
- Train stations kept filling up; deliriant crowds, people involved for the first time in their lives, could not get enough of Peron and Eva.
- [as submodifier]: Rose was deliriously happyMore example sentences
- I left him deliriously happy, relaxed and content.
- It's been two summers since I decided to reclaim my life and although I'm not deliriously happy, I'm reaching contentment.
- Absolutely astonishing, and I'm deliriously happy.
Words that rhyme with deliriousSirius
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.