1In an acutely disturbed state of mind characterized by restlessness, illusions, and incoherence; affected by delirium: he became delirious and couldn’t recognize people
More example sentences
- If left untreated, the patient may be highly agitated, develop insomnia, become delirious or go into a coma.
- Vivid hallucinations and delirious illusions may also occur.
- His vision was dimming as the rock squeezed harder, his mind was almost delirious with the pain.
incoherent, raving, babbling, irrational, hysterical, wild, feverish, frenzied;
deranged, demented, unhinged, mad, insane, crazed, out of one's mind
British informal swivel-eyed
1.1In a state of wild excitement or ecstasy: there was a great roar from the delirious crowd
More example sentences
- She had been delirious with excitement about the whole thing, from the moment they had been invited along.
- It requires delirious, wild optimism to believe madness on every continent will keep us safe indefinitely.
- While the penalty prompted singing and cheering from the crowd, the drop kick produced thunderous applause and brought a delirious crowd to their feet.
ecstatic, euphoric, elated, thrilled, overjoyed, beside oneself, walking on air, on cloud nine/seven, in seventh heaven, jumping for joy, in transports of delight, carried away, transported, rapturous, in raptures, exultant, jubilant, in a frenzy of delight, hysterical, wild with excitement, frenzied
informal blissed out, over the moon, on a high
North American informal wigged out
- Example sentences
- The goal of intervention is to provide symptomatic relief and to lower the deliriant threshold.
- It is used as a spice as well as acting as a deliriant if consumed in large quantities.
- Train stations kept filling up; deliriant crowds, people involved for the first time in their lives, could not get enough of Peron and Eva.
- [as submodifier]: Rose was deliriously happyMore example sentences
- I left him deliriously happy, relaxed and content.
- It's been two summers since I decided to reclaim my life and although I'm not deliriously happy, I'm reaching contentment.
- Absolutely astonishing, and I'm deliriously happy.
Words that rhyme with deliriousSirius
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: de|li¦ri|ous
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.