Definition of deme in English:
1A political division of Attica in ancient Greece.
- The Peloponnesian army under King Archidamus reached the borders of Attica and encamped at the deme of Acharnae.
- Life Xenophon, son of Gryllus, from the Athenian deme (rural district) of Erchia, was born into a wealthy but politically inactive family around 430 BC.
- Two portraits of Socrates frame the Symposium, one painted by Aristodemus, the good thief, the best of the deme, the other by Alcibiades, the bad thief.
2 Biology A subdivision of a population consisting of closely related plants, animals, or people, typically breeding mainly within the group.
- We have studied different aspects of DNA sequence polymorphism within a single deme drawn from a population that has experienced a range expansion.
- Several of these still capture the essence of island-model subdivision, that is, greater relatedness within than between demes, while others collapse to the unstructured case.
- The effect of genetic hitchhiking on neutral variation is analyzed in subdivided populations with differentiated demes.
Definition of deme in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India