noun (plural demoi /ˈdiːmɔɪ/)
- 1The common people of an ancient Greek state.More example sentences
- Then the reforms of Kleisthenes formed the basis of the democracy, meaning the rule of the demoi, or village councils of the Athens peninsula.
- In Sicily the tyrant is the ally of the rich and the foe of the demos
- 1.1The populace of a democracy as a political unit.More example sentences
- This is a serious threat to democracy as it does not reflect power flowing from 'demos' (populace).
- Democracy is one of the six classical forms of government described by Aristotle, denoting government by the demos, or populace at large, as opposed to government by a few, or by a single ruler.
from Greek dēmos.
More definitions of demosDefinition of demos in:
- The US English dictionary