Definition of demyelinate in English:
verb[with object] (usually as adjective demyelinating) Medicine
Cause the loss or destruction of myelin in (nerve tissue): a chronic demyelinating disease
More example sentences
- Multiple sclerosis is an inflammatory, autoimmune, demyelinating disease of the central nervous system.
- About 50% of patients with a first demyelinating episode develop multiple sclerosis; interferon decreases this risk.
- Currently, demyelinating diseases are permanent, and problems worsen as time goes on because there is no way to fix the underlying problem - restoring the myelin around the axons of brain cells.
- Example sentences
- Recent work is again focused on the vascular changes as a basis of the breakdown of the blood-brain barrier that precedes the inflammation and demyelination in a multiple sclerosis plaque.
- Postural hypotension has been associated with cerebral hypoperfusion and decreased oxygenation of the frontal lobes and with the presence of white matter lesions corresponding to demyelination and arteriosclerosis.
- The lesions of demyelination are histopathologically characteristic of the disease.
Definition of demyelinate in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia