noun[often as modifier]
- (In classical architecture) one of a number of small rectangular blocks resembling teeth, used as a decoration under the moulding of a cornice: a dentil friezeMore example sentences
- Highlighted items are the paintwork gilding to the capitals in the entrance hall and dentil frieze details in the dining room.
- Perhaps inspired by the elegant Georgian style houses he recalled from his boyhood in Haverhill, Massachusetts, he trimmed his two-story clapboarded house with quoins and a cornice with dentils.
- The marble was part of the dentil moulding that serves as a frame for the frieze of statues atop the court's main entrance.
late 16th century: from Italian dentello or obsolete French dentille, diminutive of dent 'tooth', from Latin dens, dent-.
More definitions of dentilDefinition of dentil in:
- The US English dictionary