Definition of deplete in English:
- Their stocks were severely depleted by whaling, and they remain low.
- The use of modified plants would take the pressure off severely depleted fish stocks.
- Irrigation, of course, not only depletes groundwater but reduces surface flow too, with dams and diversions that cause downstream desertification and the loss of productive wetlands and freshwater fish stocks.
- With the rich mangroves depleting fast, the number of migratory birds has decreased over the years.
- Do oil deposits get depleted too fast as oil countries try to maximize their oil earnings?
- Municipal representatives said bread supplies were depleting.
- 1depleter noun
- Example sentences
- In the 14 years since the Montreal Protocol banned most ozone depleters, a catastrophic global menace has begun to recede.
- The phaseout stems from evidence that methyl bromide is an ozone depleter, that is, a substance that destroys the protective ozone layer of Earth's atmosphere.
- Methyl bromide, which is still sometimes used as a termiticide, aerates more slowly and is an ozone depleter.
Early 19th century (earlier ( mid. 17th century) as depletion): from Latin deplet- 'emptied out', from the verb deplere, from de- (expressing reversal) + plere 'fill' (from plenus 'full').
Words that rhyme with depleteaccrete, autocomplete, beet, bittersweet, bleat, cheat, cleat, clubfeet, compete, compleat, complete, conceit, Crete, deceit, delete, discreet, discrete, eat, effete, élite, entreat, escheat, estreat, excrete, feat, feet, fleet, gîte, greet, heat, leat, leet, Magritte, maltreat, marguerite, meat, meet, meet-and-greet, mesquite, mete, mistreat, neat, outcompete, peat, Pete, petite, pleat, receipt, replete, sangeet, seat, secrete, sheet, skeet, sleet, splay-feet, street, suite, sweet, teat, treat, tweet, wheat
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.