Definition of deplore in English:
- He acknowledges a common humanity, denouncing modern race slavery in the strongest terms and deploring the disappearance of Indian civilizations into a historical void in which their cultural meanings would be forever lost.
- The official condemnations of the bombing, therefore, focus not on deploring the act but on lamenting the consequences.
- He said: " The council deplores all acts of violence ".
To deplore something was originally to weep over it, then regret deeply. The sense weakened over time until in the mid 19th century it was merely to disapprove strongly. The word comes from Latin deplorare, from de- ‘away, thoroughly’ and plorare ‘bewail’.
- Example sentences
- James looked at me deploringly and not in the least guilty looking at all.
- Colleen groaned and rolled onto her side, looking deploringly at her mother.
Words that rhyme with deploreabhor, adore, afore, anymore, ashore, awe, bandore, Bangalore, before, boar, Boer, bore, caw, chore, claw, cocksure, comprador, cor, core, corps, craw, Delors, door, draw, drawer, evermore, explore, flaw, floor, for, forbore, fore, foresaw, forevermore, forswore, four, fourscore, furthermore, Gábor, galore, gnaw, gore, grantor, guarantor, guffaw, hard-core, Haugh, haw, hoar, ignore, implore, Indore, interwar, jaw, Johor, Lahore, law, lessor, lor, lore, macaw, man-o'-war, maw, mirador, mor, more, mortgagor, Mysore, nevermore, nor, oar, obligor, offshore, onshore, open-jaw, or, ore, outdoor, outwore, paw, poor, pore, pour, rapport, raw, roar, saw, scaur, score, senhor, señor, shaw, ship-to-shore, shop-floor, shore, signor, Singapore, snore, soar, softcore, sore, spore, store, straw, swore, Tagore, tau, taw, thaw, Thor, threescore, tor, tore, torr, trapdoor, tug-of-war, two-by-four, underfloor, underscore, war, warrantor, Waugh, whore, withdraw, wore, yaw, yore, your
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.