Definition of depressor in English:
1 Anatomy (also depressor muscle) A muscle whose contraction pulls down a part of the body.
- The transgenic array produces a functional GFP fusion protein that is expressed in bodywall, vulval, uterine, spermathecal, and anal sphincter / depressor muscle cells.
- Second, the athlete is placed on an aggressive strengthening program for the posterior rotator cuff muscles and the retractor and depressor muscles of the scapula.
- In the overhead thrower, the shoulder external rotator muscles, scapular retractor muscles, and protractor and depressor muscles are frequently isolated because of weakness.
1.1Any of several specific muscles in the face: [followed by Latin genitive]: depressor anguli oris
More example sentences
- Congenital absence or hypoplasia of the depressor anguli oris muscle may simulate facial palsy.
- To a lesser extent, the jaw depressors (mainly digastric, geniohyoid and lateral pterygoid muscles) were examined.
- They accomplish this coordination with proprioceptive feedback through the hypoglossal nerve that disinhibits activation of the jaw depressors when the tongue protractor muscle is activated.
2 Physiology A nerve whose stimulation results in a lowering of blood pressure.
- In conclusion, the morphologic description of the depressor nerve provides important data for further investigations of the structural basis of altered baroreflex responses in conditions such as arterial hypertension, aging, atherosclerosis, and peripheral neuropathies.
- Although central resetting via the aortic depressor nerve (ADN) has been known to occur in spontaneously hypertensive rats, the function of the ADN is not yet clear in these animals.
- Since the discovery of the depressor nerve, much work has been done in connexion with its important influence on the regulation of blood-pressure.
3An instrument for pressing something down.
- The most common instrument for this examination is a tongue depressor which is used in conjunction with a light or other viewing device.
- Use the lifter depressor tool to press down the lifter and install the shim.
- Take out the firing pin assembly and the extractor depressor assembly to the rear.
Definition of depressor in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia