Definition of depute in English:
Pronunciation: /dɪˈpjuːt /[with object and infinitive]
1Appoint or instruct (someone) to perform a task for which one is responsible: she was deputed to look after him while Clare was away
More example sentences
- It so happened that I had fallen sick, and therefore I deputed him to some places to perform ceremonies.
- On his tours of England, one Australian official was exclusively deputed to answer his letters.
- All that the parents have to do is approach the organizers, who depute an experienced person to act as the ‘manager’ for the party.
1.1 [with object] Delegate (authority or a task).
- I begged him to publish his discovery, but he preferred to depute the task to me.
- "I shall depute the task to a worthy fellow named Willis, in whom I shall have every confidence."
- So a simple mode to acquire around this is to depute the task to somebody who is skilled in it.
Pronunciation: /ˈdɛpjuːt /Scottish Back to top
A person appointed to act in an official capacity or as a representative of another official: [as modifier]: a depute chairman
More example sentences
- A former depute procurator fiscal, welcomed news that ministers had ‘learned the lesson'.
- Appointed depute clerk in 1996, she remained in Stromness until 1998, when her current duties became full time.
- Principal deputes in the High Court can only keep pace with their workload by using the time spent on the daily train journey to and from work to attend to papers.
Words that rhyme with deputeacute, argute, astute, beaut, Beirut, boot, bruit, brut, brute, Bute, butte, Canute, cheroot, chute, commute, compute, confute, coot, cute, dilute, dispute, flute, galoot, hoot, impute, jute, loot, lute, minute, moot, newt, outshoot, permute, pollute, pursuit, recruit, refute, repute, route, salute, Salyut, scoot, shoot, Shute, sloot, snoot, subacute, suit, telecommute, Tonton Macoute, toot, transmute, undershoot, uproot, Ute, volute
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan