Definition of dermatoglyphics in English:
plural noun[treated as singular]
The study of skin markings or patterns on fingers, hands, and feet, and its application, especially in criminology.
- The following physical features were noted: cleft lip and palate, overlapping fingers, low-set ears, simian creases, obscure dermatoglyphics, and hypoplastic external genitalia.
- I invite all of those skeptics to read one of my latest works on the field and become introduced to the scientific study of hand appearances, called dermatoglyphics.
- Thus, for the twins concordant for sexual orientation, the null hypothesis that there are no differences in dermatoglyphics between twins cannot be rejected.
- Example sentences
- Since this type of dermatoglyphic model is based on an analysis of genetically identical individuals (monozygotic twins), it provides a marker for prenatal environmental causality independent of genetic causality.
- Some of the factors (including differences in testosterone level) which are associated with intrauterine stress are also associated with dermatoglyphic asymmetry in humans and captive primates.
- But further studies have to be done with a larger sample size in order to evaluate the significance of these variations in the dermatoglyphic features in the oral cleft individuals.
Definition of dermatoglyphics in:
- US English dictionary