Definition of dermatome in English:
1 Embryology The lateral wall of each somite in a vertebrate embryo, giving rise to the connective tissue of the skin. Compare with myotome, sclerotome.
- In the thoracic region, the myotome has grown ventrally to meet the ventral edge of the dermatome, the cells have become spindle shaped.
- In the embryo dermatomes can be represented as horizontal stripes on the body surface.
- The dermatomes do no more than represent the original relationship of the limb buds to the trunk at the earliest stage of development of the embryo.
1.1 Physiology An area of the skin supplied by nerves from a single spinal root.
- Referred pain has many of the characteristics of parietal pain but is felt in remote areas supplied by the same dermatome as the diseased organ.
- The characteristic vesicular rash of herpes zoster usually affects a single dermatome and rarely crosses the midline.
- The pain is associated with partial weakness in the muscles supplied by the involved nerve root and sensory loss in the appropriate dermatome.
Definition of dermatome in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan