Deserving hatred and contempt: a despicable crime
More example sentences
- The attacks are a despicable crime that will horrify anyone with any shred of decency or humanity.
- A despicable attack of blatant hatred has failed completely to tear us apart.
- This is truly disgusting stuff - morally despicable and professionally disreputable.
contemptible, loathsome, hateful, detestable, reprehensible, abhorrent, abominable, awful, heinous, beyond the pale;
odious, execrable, repellent, repugnant, repulsive, revolting, disgusting, horrible, horrid, horrifying, obnoxious, nauseating, offensive, distasteful, beneath/below contempt;
vile, base, low, mean, abject, shameful, degrading, ignominious, cheap, shabby, miserable, wretched, sorry, scurvy;
infamous, villainous, ignoble, disreputable, discreditable, unworthy, unscrupulous, unprincipled, unsavoury
informal dirty, filthy, dirty rotten, rotten, low-down, no-good, beastly, lousy
- Example sentences
- Instead he was treated despicably and I hope whoever is nominated to take over will not have to go through that same sort of public humiliation.
- Their bleating about their efforts regarding problem gambling are absolutely, completely and utterly, despicably hypocritical.
- But out of sheer determination and a refusal to get dragged down by such despicably anti-social behaviour, they enjoyed the good times and battled through the bad times.
Mid 16th century: from late Latin despicabilis, from despicari 'look down on'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.