Of or typical of a despot; tyrannical: a despotic regime
More example sentences
- Obeying no law, despotic authority was arbitrary, and its animating spirit was fear.
- Autocratic, theocratic, despotic regimes allow no political freedom, all thought is outlawed, and brute suppression is the norm.
- There is not a grain of evidence that primitive government was despotic and tyrannical.
autocratic, dictatorial, totalitarian, authoritarian, absolute, absolutist, arbitrary, unconstitutional, undemocratic, anti-democratic, uncontrolled, unaccountable, summary;
- Example sentences
- As an additional benefit, military spending also consumes resources that might otherwise be used to woo our power-base of poverty stricken, powerless, despotically ruled zealots.
- But the despotism in certain dingy and decayed tribes in the twentieth century does not prove that the first men were ruled despotically.
- The famous treason statute of 1352, which had spelt out what was (and by exclusion, was not) treason, appeared not to cover, except by a big leap, what the earl had done in ruling despotically in Ireland.
Words that rhyme with despoticabiotic, amniotic, antibiotic, chaotic, demotic, erotic, exotic, homoerotic, hypnotic, idiotic, macrobiotic, meiotic, narcotic, neurotic, osmotic, patriotic, prebiotic, psychotic, quixotic, robotic, sclerotic, semiotic, symbiotic, zygotic, zymotic
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: des|pot¦ic
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.