- 1 [mass noun] The action of detaining or withholding property.More example sentences
- The creditor later secured a judgment against the bankrupt for the unlawful detainer of the property so purchased.
- His company checks for past rental or mortgage nonpayment, unlawful detainers, delinquent consumer debt, and income sources.
- Actual breaches of the peace include riotous and unlawful assemblies, riots, affrays, forcible entry and detainer, etc.
- 1.1The detention of a person in custody: the lawful apprehension or detainer of any personMore example sentences
- First D must maliciously wound or cause grievous bodily harm and, secondly, he must do so with an ulterior intent either to cause grievous bodily harm or to resist or prevent the lawful apprehension or detainer of any person.
- But there is an alternative fault element: ‘with intent to prevent the lawful apprehension or detainer of any person’.
- Section 18 requires an intention to do grievous bodily harm or an intent to resist or prevent the lawful apprehension or detainer or any person.
- 1.2 [count noun] An order authorizing the continued detention of a person in custody: the writ must state all the causes of the detainer of the person restrainedMore example sentences
- Thus, subjects not released to supervision and subjects with a detainer were not included in our analyses.
- The return to a writ of habeas corpus ad subjiciendum must be indorsed on or annexed to the writ and must state all the causes of the detainer of the person.
- 2A person who detains someone or something: the detainer is liable for any damage causedMore example sentences
- The detainee and the detainer, they cannot deny their common past which they spent in the same boat.
- To engage any detainer in such useless, if not dangerous, dialogue only enables a captor to spend more time with the detainee.
early 17th century: from Anglo-Norman French detener 'detain' (used as a noun), variant of Old French detenir (see detain).
More definitions of detainerDefinition of detainer in:
- The US English dictionary