- 1Having made a firm decision and being resolved not to change it: [with infinitive]: Alina was determined to be heardMore example sentences
- There is so much we don't know about September 11, and the government seems determined that we should continue not to know.
- He returned from England in 1991 determined that his village would have a proper school to offer education to the children.
- He returned home disillusioned, but determined that he would never lose another race under any circumstances.
- 1.1Possessing or displaying resolve: Helen was a determined little girl a determined effort to reduce inflationMore example sentences
resolute, full of determination, purposeful, purposive, resolved, decided, adamant, single-minded, firm, unswerving, unswervable, unwavering, undaunted, fixed, set, intent, insistent; steadfast, staunch, stalwart, earnest, manful, deliberate, unfaltering, unhesitating, unflinching, persevering, persistent, pertinacious, indefatigable, tenacious, bulldog, strong-minded, strong-willed, unshakeable, unshaken, steely, four-square, dedicated, committed; stubborn, dogged, obstinate, obdurate, inflexible, relentless, intransigent, implacable, unyielding, unbending, immovable, unrelenting; spirited, brave, bold, courageous, plucky, stout, stout-hearted, mettlesome, indomitable, strenuous, vigorous, gritty, stiff; North American rock-ribbed• rare perseverant, indurate
- He said he had made consistent and determined efforts to resolve the matter and had visited the workers on a number of occasions to lend his support.
- Still, he paid a handsome enough dividend for the place and it was a gutsy determined effort on the part of the horse and rider Fran Flood.
- They simply ripped them limb from limb in the second half with a ferociously determined and hungry display which left Cork begging for mercy.
- More example sentences
- Watching her friend turn and step off the patio determinedly was the second hardest.
- Late in the first half, he suffered a strong blow to his knee but recovered well to determinedly push his team past the winning post.
- Within minutes the determinedly old-fashioned Chez Moi restaurant in Holland Park is also knee-deep.
- More example sentences
- Les Dames is a film set on a path, a film of the determinedness of the future because of the past and the subsequent constricting in the present made clear by the use and relationship of image and sound.
- In the center, the focus of their attention is a cordless telephone which seems to be mocking them in its determinedness not to ring.
- Her voice was that of a girl, barely more than a child, but there was a determinedness in it which marked her as a Princess without a doubt.