Definition of detestable in English:
Deserving intense dislike: I found the film’s violence detestable
More example sentences
- I felt I was a detestable person and I hated myself and had all the feelings of failure.
- Allen's characters, both the admirable ones and the detestable ones, are intensely alive, and we know this by their distinctive voices.
- The most vulnerable members of our society fall victim to the repulsive and detestable warlords and gang masters who conceal their depraved activity behind closed doors.
abhorrent, detested, hateful, hated, loathsome, loathed, despicable, despised, abominable, abominated, execrable, execrated, repellent, repugnant, repulsive, revolting, disgusting, distasteful, horrible, horrid, horrifying, awful, heinous, reprehensible, obnoxious, odious, nauseating, offensive, contemptible
- Example sentences
- ‘We shouldn't have come this far,’ he said quietly, some irrepressible and detestably responsible instinct rising up and taking him by surprise.
- The woman was detestably sensible, opinionated, and outspoken and her son trusted her reasoning above all things, except, perhaps his own.
- The thing is, is not cowardly, but profoundly and detestably wicked.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan