1Having or showing deep religious feeling or commitment: she was a devout Catholic a rabbi’s devout prayers
More example sentences
- The kirpan has deep religious significance to devout Sikhs and is not a weapon.
- So we have an enormous amount of evidence of widespread religious behaviour and of devout behaviour as well.
- When I was brought back to faith it was through the prayers of my devout mother.
pious, religious, devoted, dedicated, reverent, God-fearing, believing, spiritual, prayerful, holy, godly, saintly, faithful, dutiful, righteous, churchgoing, orthodox
1.1Totally committed to a cause or belief: the most devout environmentalist
More example sentences
- Few espouse political ideologies of any sort, since devout beliefs can impede one's effectiveness as a peacekeeper.
- Here's a sort of companion post to the previous one, in being about some of the things said and done in the name of devout belief.
dedicated, devoted, committed, loyal, faithful, staunch, genuine, firm, steadfast, resolute, unwavering, sincere, wholehearted, keen, earnest, enthusiastic, zealous, passionate, ardent, fervent, intense, vehement, active, sworn, pledged;
informal card-carrying, red-hot, true blue, mad keen, deep-dyed
- Example sentences
- As one rabbi notes, once you see the sincerity and devoutness in a person, it's no longer possible to demonize and dehumanize their behaviour; you can only love and help.
- The first part of the script - the so-called devoutness of the founders - is least relevant to the current debate over religion in government.
- As best I can tell, the Boy Scouts are open to anyone who says they're religious, regardless of the religion, and regardless of the degree of devoutness.
Middle English: from Old French devot, from Latin devotus 'devoted', past participle of devovere (see devote).
Words that rhyme with devoutabout, bout, clout, doubt, down-and-out, drought, flout, gout, grout, knout, lout, mahout, misdoubt, nowt, out, out-and-out, owt, pout, Prout, right about, rout, scout, shout, snout, spout, sprout, stout, thereabout, thereout, throughout, timeout, tout, trout, way-out, without
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: de¦vout
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.