- A double-walled flask of metal or silvered glass with a vacuum between the walls, used to hold liquids at well below ambient temperature.More example sentences
- However, only the sample dewar was filled with liquid nitrogen.
- Liquid helium will boil off constantly through a special porous plug in the dewar to maintain the science probe at its required temperature for up to 18 months.
- But in 1999 the project experienced major development problems when the large thermos bottle, called a dewar, which holds the supercold helium surrounding the instruments, did not cool down as quickly as expected.
late 19th century: named after Sir James Dewar (see Dewar, Sir James).
More definitions of dewarDefinition of dewar in:
- The US English dictionary