adjective[attributive] archaic & Heraldry
On or towards the right-hand side (in a coat of arms, from the bearer’s point of view, i.e. the left as it is depicted). The opposite of sinister.
- It's blue, master, with a red stripe sinister, and a yellow emblem on the dexter side.
- It is basically a wide stripe that runs from dexter chief to sinister base.
- And they will be even more fortunate if the attendant planets are in dexter aspect
Mid 16th century: from Latin, 'on the right'.
Words that rhyme with dexterWebster • Leinster
An animal of a small, hardy breed of Irish cattle.
- This month, we're mostly eating longhorn; last year, it was dexter.
- As well as the beef and dexter sections, dairy classes will be back for the first time since the foot-and-mouth outbreak, and the popular young handler classes return, featuring guinea pigs, chickens and dogs.
Late 19th century: said to have been named after the breeder.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.