Definition of dextral in English:
1Of or on the right side or the right hand (the opposite of sinistral).
- Commonly there is a partitioning of sinistral and dextral criteria on alternate horizons, but horizons occur where both senses coexist.
- Zhang noted that both sinistral and dextral Pa and Pb elements differed entirely.
- It is interesting to speculate why most screw threads are dextral and only a relatively small number are sinistral threads.
- The literal-minded dextral dwarfs of the right-wing press are undone somewhat by irony and wit, especially since they believe they are uniquely blessed with a ‘sense of humour’.
- Rather, one form of the gene, which we may call D for dextral, may code for right-handedness, while the other allele, which we may call C for chance, leaves the direction of handedness to chance.
- Although sinistral individuals are known in many normally dextral species, left-handedness as a characteristic of species is rare in most gastropod clades.
1.2 Geology Relating to or denoting a strike-slip fault in which the motion of the block on the further side of the fault from an observer is towards the right.
- In fact, Aleksandrowski et al proposed that the complex was originally contiguous with the Northern Phyllite Zone in Germany and that dextral strike-slip fault movement translated this region southeastward to its present position.
- In this interpretation, the Troodos ophiolite formed to the east (in its current orientation) of a ridge-transform ridge intersection, in which the transform had a dextral offset and sinistral slip.
- In the northern Musgrave Block the Petermann Orogeny generated large-scale east-west-trending shear zones that accommodated dextral strike-slip and north- and south-directed thrusting.
1.3 Zoology (Of a spiral mollusc shell) with whorls rising to the right and coiling in an anticlockwise direction.
- There are dextral species, sinistral species, and a variable species (P. suturalis-see below) all within the same genus.
- In plan view, several specimens show minor changes in the generally linear orientation with either a sinistral or a dextral turn.
- Nevertheless, sinistral and dextral Pb elements are virtually mirror images, that is, they are more alike than the corresponding elements in L. variabilis.
nounBack to top
- Example sentences
- Overall, then, there is no trend from dextrality to sinistrality.
- This tendency towards dextrality was explored further by examining a museum collection of extremities of walrus skeletons.
- It is possible that other commissural systems that transmit motor commands and thus influence dextrality may also manifest sexual orientation-related differences.
- Example sentences
- Both species described here are sinistrally coiled, but a similar pattern of ornamentation is present on two Pennsylvanian species that are dextrally coiled.
- Thus, the gerontic aperture of these dextrally coiled shells is situated on the left side in apertural view.
- Clockwise rotation of the trend of volcanic ridges is associated with dextrally offset, sinistrally slipping transforms, while anticlockwise rotation is associated with sinistrally offset, dextrally slipping transforms.
Words that rhyme with dextralSacheverell • mayoral
Definition of dextral in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.