Definition of dextrorotatory in English:
(Of a compound) having the property of rotating the plane of a polarized light ray to the right, i.e. clockwise facing the oncoming radiation. The opposite of laevorotatory.
- Chirality describes the handedness of a molecule that is observable by the ability of a molecule to rotate the plane of polarized light either to the right (dextrorotatory) or to the left (levorotatory).
- One was dextrorotatory when dissolved in aqueous solution, the other was levorotatory.
- The dextrorotatory isomer of zopiclone is displaced from its salt by means of a base such as sodium hydroxide.
- Example sentences
- Here, the Orgone Beam converts pure levorotation into dextrorotation, or vice versa, until bipolarity is achieved.
- As the uterus grows larger it generally gets a slight twist, known as a dextrorotation, which allows it to fit more easily in the abdominopelvic cavity.
- This invention relates to an optically active single crystal having both single-crystal portion exhibiting levorotation and single-crystal portion exhibiting dextrorotation and a fabrication process thereof.
Definition of dextrorotatory in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan