Definition of diabolo in English:
noun (plural diabolos)[mass noun]
1A game in which a two-headed top is thrown up and caught with a string stretched between two sticks.
- After the show, children were given the chance to try juggling, plate spinning and diabolo for themselves.
- The routines include religious folk and aboriginal dance, martial arts along with diabolo playing and shuttlecock kicking.
- Mr Collins performed again on Monday, this time demonstrating his juggling and diabolo talents.
1.1 [count noun] The wooden top used in the game of diabolo.
- In Quidam a group of alarmingly young-looking Chinese girls manipulate the diabolos while flinging themselves about.
- They were very clever, only dropped one diabolo, and juggled and did acrobatics with the diabolos in time to the music.
Early 20th century: from Italian, from ecclesiastical Latin diabolus 'devil'; the game was formerly called devil on two sticks.
Words that rhyme with diabolobibelot • pedalo • underflow
Definition of diabolo in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan