Definition of dialectical materialism in English:
The Marxist theory (adopted as the official philosophy of the Soviet communists) that political and historical events result from the conflict of social forces and are interpretable as a series of contradictions and their solutions. The conflict is seen as caused by material needs.
- Marx wants to combine the active, dialectical side of idealist thought with the materialism of Feuerbach: hence dialectical materialism as later Marxists called it (though Marx himself never used this phrase).
- Gray describes it as a legitimate successor to that other secular utopian project, the Marxist version of dialectical materialism.
- Historically the main spur to Marxists seeking such an alternative to the reductionist and the scientistic conception of dialectical materialism came from Max Weber.
- dialectical materialist noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- This is the essence of the dialectical materialist method of Marxism.
- If Marx and Engels with their dialectical materialist method have superseded the conceptual subject/object dichotomy, what remains to us is to supersede this dichotomy from a historical and socio-political point of view.
- Those familiar with German critical psychology, may be alternately pleased, dismayed, or surprised to find an approach that differs significantly from that psychology's dialectical materialist approach.
Definition of dialectical materialism in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.