noun[mass noun] Chemistry
- A poisonous, reactive yellow gas used as a methylating agent in chemical synthesis.
More example sentences
- Chemical formula: CH2N2
- Samples were evaporated to dryness under vacuum, redissolved in 20 mm of methanol, then diazomethane added to methylate ABA.
- The sap samples were thawed and an internal standard of [H 6] ABA was added before they were dried, methylated with ethereal diazomethane, dried and redissolved in methanol for analysis by gc/ms.
- Lipids were extracted according to the method of Bligh and Dyer, followed by methylation with ethereal diazomethane.
late 19th century: from diazo- (indicating the presence of two nitrogen atoms) + methane.
More definitions of diazomethaneDefinition of diazomethane in:
- The US English dictionary