Definition of digestion in English:
1The process of digesting food.
- Different regions of the digestive tract are concerned with storage, secretion, the processes of food digestion, absorption, and the elimination of waste products.
- In addition, they typically assess everyday body processes, such as appetite, digestion, defecation, urination, and sleep.
- You need water for all bodily processes, including digestion, waste excretion, circulation and even breathing.
1.1 [count noun] A person’s capacity to digest food: he suffered with his digestion
More example sentences
- Our digestions coped admirably and thus you will have no tales concerning toilets, bushes, and Delhi Belly.
- Note that sensitive digestions tolerate cooked onions better than raw ones.
- This man, perhaps, may have an easy conscience and a good digestion.
1.2 Chemistry The process of treating a substance with heat, enzymes, or a solvent to promote decomposition or extract essential components.
- Elements that had been located within the protoplasts (intracellular fraction) were solubilized by digestion with concentrated nitric acid.
- This assay does not require enzyme digestion or electrophoretic separation of DNA fragments.
- Dried leaf discs were analysed for organic N and Ca after digestion in sulphuric acid and subsequent dilution.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia