Definition of digressive in English:
Characterized by digression; tending to depart from the subject: a digressive account
More example sentences
- Each was a long, highly literary, digressive, and polemical account of the failure of the colonists to make good their British patrimony.
- His characters live untidy lives and often fall into digressive daydreams, so troubled are their souls.
- In a word, my work is digressive, and it is progressive too, - and at the same time.
- Example sentences
- Whether digressively or directly, at a walk or at a run, the motion is on the ground and by foot, putting its weight part by part onto the terrain to be covered.
- Even while he appears to be ambling digressively, he sets a stiff pace; there are few concessions to readers wanting assumptions restated or conclusions underlined.
- This reader devoted to the great writer therefore appealingly begins with his later work, when he is in full, digressively brilliant voice writing about Paris.
- Example sentences
- For all his digressiveness, he constantly selects and shapes, for he ever desires to maintain control over the emotions that he provokes in his reader.
- It appears to be a specially successful job considering the verbosity and digressiveness of the novel of this writer who, though often brilliant, writes in a highly disorderly way.
- Works such as Jonathan Swift's A Tale of a Tub and Laurence Sterne's Tristram Shandy made digressiveness itself a part of the satire.
Words that rhyme with digressiveaggressive, compressive, concessive, degressive, depressive, excessive, expressive, impressive, obsessive, oppressive, possessive, progressive, recessive, regressive, repressive, retrogressive, successive, transgressive
Definition of digressive in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan