Definition of dioxin in English:
1A highly toxic compound produced as a by-product in some manufacturing processes, notably herbicide production and paper bleaching. It is a serious and persistent environmental pollutant.
- A heterocyclic organochlorine compound; alternative name: 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzoparadioxin (abbreviation: TCDD); chemical formula: C12H4O2Cl4
- Activists also charge that inappropriate operation of incinerators creates not only air pollution but also toxic dioxin.
- He discussed how the manufacture of PVC creates the unwanted byproduct of dioxin, a potent carcinogen.
- That view is shared by the usually mild US Environmental Protection Agency following their extensive three-year study that proved dioxin to be more toxic than had originally been believed.
1.1 [count noun] Any of the class of compounds to which dioxin belongs.
- He said that when you burn any organic matter, which contains chlorine and organic carbon, you get dioxins.
- They have excavated more than 100,000 cubic metres of fill contaminated with heavy metals, hydrocarbons and dioxins.
- Other residents will just burn the rubbish in their garden spreading dioxins and other noxious chemicals throughout the countryside.
Definition of dioxin in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan