chiefly North American
Definition of dip net in English:
A small fishing net with a long handle.
- For the few shillings which they cost these little nets make a great dip net for sandeels and if they rust out after a few months you can afford to bin them and take a new one.
- For the measurements, fish were carefully netted with a dip net, anesthetized with 2-phenoxyethanol, and measured to the nearest 0.1 mm in FL with a digital caliper.
- For these samples, we illuminated the water surface after dark for 30 to 60 minutes with a battery-powered 50-watt light bulb and collected larval and juvenile fishes attracted by the light with a dip net.
verbBack to top
(dip-net) [with object] Catch (fish) using a dip net.
- The male was dip-netted and put into a small, water-filled glass box that was placed in fixed position in a large dark-box with a lock that excluded outer light.
- We saw a number of bears that trip, one skidding down the river bank on his rump to try for sockeye which we'd seen fishermen dip-netting and gaffing above the narrow chasms at Moricetown.
- Along the shoreline not far off, people dip-netted for hooligan, an oily spring fish.
Definition of dip net in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan