Definition of diphtheroid in English:
Any bacterium of a genus that includes the diphtheria bacillus, especially one that does not cause disease. See corynebacterium.
- Other normal inhabitants of the birth canal - staph, strep, diphtheroids, anaerobes, E. coli and Listeria - are other pathogens that may cause neonatal pneumonia.
- Of the 19 units manifesting growth, 16 yielded only diphtheroids, 1 unit grew coagulase-negative staphylococci, 1 unit grew diphtheroids and micrococci, and 1 unit grew diphtheroids and coagulase-negative staphylococci.
- Investigators found Staphylococcus, Streptococcus viridans, diphtheroids, Escherichia coli, and candida on gym equipment and facilities.
adjective[attributive] Medicine Back to top
Similar to diphtheria: diphtheroid endocarditis
More example sentences
- Diphtheroid necrotic inflammation of the larynx in calves in its advanced stage mostly requires surgical therapy.
- There are few reports of diphtheroid endocarditis on intact valves, and, to our knowledge, this is the first case in which the offending organism was identified as C xerosis.
- Diphtheroid infection is a rare cause of endocarditis and, when present, it usually affects immunocompromised hosts or prosthetic valves.
Definition of diphtheroid in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan