Definition of diphtheroid in English:
Any bacterium of a genus that includes the diphtheria bacillus, especially one that does not cause disease. See corynebacterium.
- Other normal inhabitants of the birth canal - staph, strep, diphtheroids, anaerobes, E. coli and Listeria - are other pathogens that may cause neonatal pneumonia.
- Of the 19 units manifesting growth, 16 yielded only diphtheroids, 1 unit grew coagulase-negative staphylococci, 1 unit grew diphtheroids and micrococci, and 1 unit grew diphtheroids and coagulase-negative staphylococci.
- Investigators found Staphylococcus, Streptococcus viridans, diphtheroids, Escherichia coli, and candida on gym equipment and facilities.
adjective[attributive] Medicine Back to top
Similar to diphtheria: diphtheroid endocarditis
More example sentences
- Diphtheroid necrotic inflammation of the larynx in calves in its advanced stage mostly requires surgical therapy.
- There are few reports of diphtheroid endocarditis on intact valves, and, to our knowledge, this is the first case in which the offending organism was identified as C xerosis.
- Diphtheroid infection is a rare cause of endocarditis and, when present, it usually affects immunocompromised hosts or prosthetic valves.
Definition of diphtheroid in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.