noun (plural diplococci /-k(s)ʌɪ, -k(s)iː/)
- A bacterium that occurs as pairs of cocci, e.g. pneumococcus.More example sentences
- If the smear shows Gram negative intracellular diplococci, the patient is treated for gonorrhoea and chlamydia to cover the possibility of a mixed infection.
- Dexamethasone therapy should be continued following test results only if gram-positive diplococci are found in the CSF Gram stain, or if cultures reveal Streptococcus pneumoniae.
- Shortly before he left, however, a call from an excited microbiologist confirmed the presence of Gram negative diplococci in both blood and cerebrospinal fluid culture.
More definitions of diplococcusDefinition of diplococcus in:
- The US English dictionary