- An airship.More example sentences
- Within the bureau and the fleet, Moffett concentrated on the development of patrol and scouting seaplanes and dirigibles, airplane technology and logistics, aircraft carriers, and naval air stations.
- Later, Lewis guns loaded with incendiary bullets and mounted on the famous Sopwith Camel biplanes, helped bring down hydrogen-filled German Zeppelin dirigibles that had been terrorizing English cities.
- I'd always been fascinated by those giant silver dirigibles, having seen the Graf Zeppelin cruising over Los Angeles and once getting a ride in the little old Goodyear ‘Volunteer’ blimp NCBA in 1936.
adjectiveBack to top
late 16th century: from Latin dirigere 'to direct' + -ible.
More definitions of dirigibleDefinition of dirigible in:
- The US English dictionary